The community of Lavington dates back to the 1850′s. In this decade gold was discovered in the Black Range area. The miners built their homes along the creek bank and on the flats. The estimated population at the time was 2,000.
Following WW1, the area was made available to Soldier Settlement, with fruit growing becoming the main agricultural pursuit. The re-routing of the Hume Highway through Lavington in the early 1930′s and the construction of the Hume Weir were vital employment opportunities during the Depression years. In 1966, Lavington ceased to be a separate village and was amalgamated into the Albury City Council.
The Bishop of the Wagga Wagga Diocese, at the time, Dr F.P.Carroll, chose a quiet Irish Priest, Father Patrick O’Connell, to establish a parish in Lavington in 1969 with the first Mass celebrated in the Scout Hall on February 1st, 1970. A month later, the new Parish was named ‘Holy Spirit’. Cardinal Moran once said that a Catholic Church without its parish school was like an apple tree without apples, so…in April of that year it was decided to build a school and in December 1970, the building was well underway with 50 children enrolled in Kindergarten, Year 1 and 2.
The school started with 3 teachers; Sr Ignatious, Pauline McKenzie-McHarg and Denise Hill and was officially blessed and opened on Sunday 30th May, 1971.
We have four sporting houses at Holy Spirit School - Dwyer, McRae, O'Connell and Esler.
Dwyer is named after Bishop Joseph Dwyer. He was the first Bishop of the Wagga Wagga Diocese.
McRae is named after Sr. Clare McRae who was a Sister of Mercy.
O'Connell is named after Fr. Patrick O'Connel who was the first Parish Priest at Holy Spirit.
Esler is named after Sr. Therese Esler who was a Sister of Mercy, and the first principal of Holy Spirit School.
Since these early days the student population has steadily grown to over 300. We now boast many wonderful resources and facilities including spacious grounds and many hard court areas that promote team games, co-operation, eye-hand co-ordination, and buildings which promote flexible learning.